When wildfire strikes we are here to help!
Even states as wet as Oregon and Washington are affected by wildfires several times a year. When the Eagle Creek fire shut down businesses our phones rang off the hook with concerned business owners. In times like these SERVPRO is the first to call as we are faster to any size disaster.
Some tips from FEMA to protect you and your property from hazards are as follows:
- Wear protective clothing
- Lock up your business
- Choose a route away from fire hazards
- Close windows, vents, doors, and blinds
- Shut off all utilities, if possible
- Move flammable items to the center of the building
- turn on a light in each room to increase visibility of your property
- Turn off gas lines and propane tanks
- Connect the outside house to water taps
- Gather fire tools
These tips along with preparation and quick thinking can and will protect your investments!
How can wildfires affect my business?
Aside from evacuations, and lack of travel wildfires can take a much larger toll on your business than most think.
Soot can and will get into your building and can caused for delayed openings if not addresses quickly after fires.
Even if your windows and doors are shut and your vents are closed, smoke and soot particles can enter your property. Your HVAC system and air ducts can hold large quantities of soot and disperse it all over your belongings. Your local SERVPRO professionals can thoroughly check your HVAC system and ducts for soot particles and remove them from your property.
There are different types of smoke and soot. A Wildfire will burn mostly natural materials, however there are times when wildfires burn man-made materials, which can leave soot particles that are more difficult to remove.
prepare yourself for wildfires this summer!
The following are tips from FEMA for preparing your family, home, and businesses from the threat of wildfires!
- Get an emergency supply kit, which includes items like, non-perishable food, water, a battery-powered radio, extra flashlights and batteries. You may want to prepare a portable kit and keep it in your car!
- Make a family emergency plan. Your family may not be together when disaster strikes, so it is important to know how you will contact one another, how you will get back together, and what you will do in case of an emergency.
- Protect your property from wildfires by designing and landscaping with wildfire safety in mind.
- Learn about the emergency plans that have been established in your area by your state and local government. In an emergency always listen to the instructions given by local emergency responders.
- Finally, don't forget to save your local SERVPRO'S phone number in the case of smoke or soot damage after returning to your home!
Post Construction Cleaning
Once the floors are down and the drywall is up, it's time to remove the debris and dirt in order to lay carpet, paint, and decorate. SERVPRO professionals can provide debris removal services to prepare the building for interior design.
Dehumidification and Drying
During the construction phase, a building can trap moisture. Excessive moisture could result in mold growth. If you think one of your projects may have a moisture issue, rely on SERVPRO professionals to provide the help you need initiating moisture and preventing the potential for mold growth.
You want the facility to look its best when the doors open. Your Local SERVPRO professionals provide cleaning services to give the building that extra shine. Services include:
- Carpet, resilient and non-resilient floor prep and finish
- Ceilings, walls and fixture cleaning
- Air Duct Cleaning
- Debris Removal
- Window Cleaning
The last thing you need is a fire or, water intrusion or mold growth slowing down or stopping the completion of one of your projects. SERVPRO professionals provide 24-hour emergency mitigation, cleanup and restoration services to help you get back on schedule quickly.
Severe Weather Safety
Severe weather can happen at any time, anywhere. I think us here in the pacific northwest are very accustomed to that. Each year Americans cope with an average of the following storms:
- 10,000 severe thunderstorms
- 5,000 floods or flash floods
- 1,300 torandoes
- 2 land-falling deadly hurricanes
Approximately 98% of all presidentially declared disasters are weather-related, leading to around 650 deaths per year and nearly $15 billion in damage. Knowing your risk of severe weather, taking action, and being an example are just a few steps you can take to be better prepared to save your life and assist in saving the lives of others.
When fire or water damage puts the things that matter most on the line, you need the very best help on the line as well. That why knowing the easiest ways to contact SERVPRO is so important. Just got to SERVPRO.com on your mobile phone or call 1-800-SERVPRO to get the team that faster to any disaster!
Any Fire In Your Home Is Bad
When you try to clean up after a fire by yourself, it can be a disaster. Especially considering that smoke and soot from even a small fire can permanently damage contents throughout a home. It will also cause odors that may resurface for years.
Your SERVPRO professionals understand how disruptive fires can be for you and your entire family. For this reason, SERVPRO offers 24-hour emergency response, and under normal circumstances, will have trained, uniformed technicians on-site of a fire damage within four hours to begin emergency mitigation services. By responding quickly with a full line of fire, smoke, and soot clean up and restoration services, your local SERVPRO professionals can help you regain control quickly while deodorizing and protecting your home and belongings.
So, before you risk doing more damage by attempting to clean it up yourself, call your local fire, smoke, and soot clean up and restoration experts at SERVPRO or dial 1-800-SERVPRO to locate your nearest SERVPRO Franchise.
Trained And Equipped For Fires
Fire, smoke, and soot damages in your home can create permanent and unpleasant problems if not properly addressed. As various materials burn, the smoke produced travels throughout the home leaving odorous residues and deposits on surfaces and in those hard to reach places. Unless fast, professional action is taken, these residues and deposits can cause permanent damage to contents and may result in periodically resurfacing odors. Unfortunately, such damages are often made more severe when unprepared homeowners attempt to perform the cleanup themselves.
All of your restorable items in affected areas will be professional cleaned and deodorized to preloss condition. This includes furniture, draperies, upholstery, electronics, art, flooring, walls, ceilings, HVAC air duct systems, and so so much more. SERVPRO professionals do not merely cover up lingering odors with a fragrance, they seek out the sources and clean them right at the source!
From The Ordinary To The Unhealthy: Mold
From the Ordinary
Fungi and mold naturally occur in our environment. In fact, over 100,000 kinds of fungi have been identified.
Fungi produce some very useful results. Yeast is a type of fungi used in preparing breads, baked goods, and other food products, including some alcoholic beverages. The unique flavor of blue cheese is a result of mold. An edible mushroom is simply a type of fungi, and lifesaving penicillin is product of mold as well!
Even though some forms of mold can add value to our lives, other forms can be harmful. Excessive amounts of mold, different types of mold, and/or exposure to molds may present health concerns for some people.
To The Unhealthy
Intrusion of water into your home or a place of business can result in mold growth. Water intrusions can result from storm damage, plumbing, or equipment failures, long-standing leaks and poor humidity control. When water intrusions are not addressed right away, the resulting damage can present increased risk of harmful mold growth. Some amount of mold spores are normally present in most environments. If the humidity and moisture levels in a water-damaged environment are not promptly returned to normal, mold spores may grow and multiply. Organic materials found inside a building, such as wood, paper, drywall, and insulation provide food sources for mold to flourish. Excessive mold growth can lead to indoor environmental conditions that pose a health threat.
Take Precautions With Mold
This is a mold job that was caused by prolong roof leaks throughout a commercial building.
SERVPRO professionals handle water damages everyday and know prompt action is required to prevent mold growth. Mold is more likely to spread when an environment has been subject to moisture for a long period of time. If your property has sustained water damage, it is vital to remove excess water and dry the structure promptly. If there is an ongoing moisture problem in the building, it is important to be alert for:
- The presence of visible mold
- Strong musty odors which indicate that mold is present
- Any evidence of past moisture problems that might have caused undetected mold growth.
- Excessive humidity.
These conditions may require the expertise of a qualified Indoor Air Quality/Environmental professional to inspect the building for mold growth and water damage problems.
Help is here
If you think you might have a mold problem, call 1-800-SERVPRO. A SERVPRO franchise professional trained in mold remediation will examine the structure for any visible signs of mold. In the event mold is found, you will be asked to approve and sign a work authorization form prior to any mold cleanup or related work being performed.
Prepare Your Home For Winter Weather
Tips for keeping your home prepared for winter weather are:
- Keep Cabinet doors open during cold spells. This allows warm air to circulate around pipes.
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets, especially if the pipes for faucets run through unheated or uninsulated areas of your home.
- Consider shutting outdoor faucets. Find the shut-off valve in the basement or crawlspace and turn it to off
- If you follow the previous step, then open the outdoor faucet to help ensure it drains completely and the inner valve is shut off.
- Ensure gutters are clean and secure. Leaves and debris accumulate, causing a damming affect on gutters, which could lead to roof problems and water damage
- Proper maintenance of your furnace can help reduce the risk of puff backs.