How to Stay Safe During a Storm in Pacific Northwest
We don't get huge storms here in the Pacific Northwest like other parts of the country, but we are no stranger to high winds, lots of rain, and blackouts. SERVPRO of Yamhill & Tillamook Counties wants to help you stay as safe as possible when storms rage.
Below are tips on how to stay safe during a thunderstorm while inside a building:
- Stay away from all windows or glass walls, especially during a lightning storm
- Unplug appliances if possible
- Pay attention to all alerts and warnings, as a thunderstorm can develop into a tornado if powerful enough
- Avoid running water if possible since electricity can travel through plumbing
Even here in the PNW weather is unpredictable; it can also change in an instant without much warning. If a thunderstorm does happen to turn into a larger storm on the North Coast consider the following tips:
- If the building has a basement or storm cellar, head there immediately
- Use your arms to protect your head and neck in the event of flying debris or shattered windows
- Do not leave the safe area until the local alerting system says it is safe to do so
Remember, SERVPRO of Yamhill & Tillamook Counties is Here to Help. Our trained team members will show up ready to go and can assist in cleanup and restoration after a thunderstorm, lightning storm, or other property damage.